Skelmersdale Utd 0 – 5 Wythenshawe

By Martin Stewart

The manager made a couple of changes from the last game, with Tom Parry coming back into left back and Dana Amaral replacing the suspended Tom Fagan. Also on the teamsheet was new signing, forward Sam Bradley.

A bitterly cold and wet start to this game was soon lifted when after five minutes Jay Howell pinched the ball outside the visitor’s box and got off a shot that was charged down by defenders. Four minutes later and Gabe Ellis beat the offside trap but once again had his shot charged down by a combination of defenders.

Skem had started this game on fire, pressing right up at Wythenshawe’s back line. They were causing panic in their opponents defence and a casual observer would be hard pressed to pick out which team was at the top and bottom of the league.

After 12 minutes, United thought they had got the reward their early pressure deserved. A free kick outside the box was floated in by Luke Byron, it was spilled by the keeper and Ellis was the first to latch onto the loose ball, poking it home from 3 yards out only for the referee to rule it out for a perceived foul on the keeper.

Skem weren’t daunted though, and the team which looked properly balanced with the addition of Sam Bradley wide on the right, kept on attacking.

After 14 minutes a lovely passing move involving five Skem players ended when Bradley was fouled inside the area, unfortunately the ref waved away appeals for a penalty.

Still only 16 minutes on the clock and Byron pinched the ball in midfield and galloped into the box, with just the keeper to beat, the shot was straight at his legs and the chance was gone.

It took until 25 minutes for the visitors to put together their first meaningful attack, but under pressure from McConchie and Blanchard, Henderson could only manage a weak shot that was easily saved by Ben Barnes.

Two minutes later and Ellis was back up the other end in the clear again, but shot into the side netting. On 30 mins Ellis surged forward into space down the inside right channel, his shot once again saved by the keeper’s legs.

Skem were doing all the attacking and the watching Wythenshawe fans were beginning to moan at their team for letting it happen.

Too many times recently Skem have been on top in games only to be undone by a killer blow from the opposition and on 33 minutes it happened again when a loose ball inside the area was stabbed home by Bickerton. In truth it had been poor defkeending but it was a gift that the visitors didn’t deserve and proof that when you are down at the bottom all luck deserts you.

The goal settled Wythenshawe and they added another just on half time by Josh Tinker to somehow go in 2-0 up at the break.

Buoyed by their lucky escape in thg first half, the Ammies weren’t going to let that happen again and came out for the second in much morec determined and organised mood. They had doubled their lead within 10 mnutes of the restart with goals from Ly and Dickov to effectively kill the game as a contest.
Skem continued to play some good football and Bradley looks a real threat when he gets on the ball but they never looked close to getting a conslation goal and to make matters worse Joel Aikenhead got a fifth on 78 mins.

The final score 5-0 to Wythenshawe who left the ground as new league leaders, whilst back inside Matt Potter and his managerial team were learning that this would be their last game in charge. It’s been a torrid time despite some reasonably good performances but something had to give eventually.

Share the Post:

Related Posts